Landlord-Tenant Disputes

Landlord-Tenant Services


Alzameli Legal Services is a paralegal firm that offers services related to landlord and tenant disputes. At Alzameli Legal Services, landlord and tenant matters are one of our expertise. Our services are efficient and cost-effective.

Our services include representation before Landlord and Tenant Board hearings and assistance with any Landlord and Tenant Board applications by adhering to the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA).

We represent landlords with matters such as evictions, as well as tenants with matters such as unlawful evictions.

Who is covered by Residential Tenancies Act?

Most landlords and tenants of rental units are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act. A rental unit can be an apartment, a house, or a room in a rooming or boarding house. Care homes, retirement homes, and sites in a mobile home park or land lease community are also covered by this Act.

Landlord and Tenant Board

The LTB resolves disputes between tenants and landlords. The process is like a court process but less formal. The disputes can be resolved through mediation or adjudication.


You may choose to appoint a legal professional to represent you in your matter. The representative may be a lawyer or paralegal, licensed by the Law Society of Ontario. A licensed representative must be in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario. As an experienced paralegal firm in Ottawa, licensed and in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario, we strive to provide you with the best service possible, to provide you with the knowledge and advice that will help make your case successful.


At Alzameli Legal Services, we offer a wide range of landlord and tenant matters, including:

Comprehensive landlord and tenant services (Tenancy Agreements covered by RTA):

  • Landlords must provide new tenants with information about the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants and about role of the LTB;
  • The landlord must provide the tenant with a copy of any written lease within 21 days after the tenant signs it;
  • The lease should not contain any terms that are inconsistent with the Act.

Termination of a Tenancy

  • Non-payment of Rent;
  • Interfering with others and their reasonable enjoyment of property;
  • Wilfully or negligently causing damage to the rental unit or the residential complex;
  • Number of people living in the rental unit is more than permitted by health, safety or property standards;
  • Illegal acts or misrepresenting income in a Rent-Geared-to-Income rental unit;
  • Causing serious problems in the rental unit or residential complex;
  • Agreement to end the tenancy;
  • Landlord or the purchaser, a member of immediate family or a person who provides or will provide care services to landlord or the purchaser, a member of landlord’s or purchaser’s immediate family wants to move into the rental unit and occupy it for at least one year;
  • Landlord wants to demolish the rental unit, repair it or convert it to another use.

Eviction Proceedings and Landlord Re-entry

  • If an eviction order is issued by the LTB, it tells the tenant when they must be out of the unit;
  • If the tenant does not move out, then the landlord can file the LTB order with the Court Enforcement Office (Sheriff)
  • Only the Court Enforcement Office can evict a tenant

Advancing or Responding to Landlord and Tenant Board Applications

  • Identifying the issues in dispute;
  • Providing the respondent’s submissions on the issues;
  • Identifying any remedy or relief requested;
  • Attaching any documents that support your position.

Disputes Over Lease Terms and Provisions

  • Highlighting the rights of landlord and tenant as per the RTA
  • Identifying remedial measures available for resolving the disputes

Rent Disputes

  • Rent for a new tenant in a new tenancy
  • Rent deposits
  • Rent receipts
  • Increasing a tenant’s rent
  • The rent increase guideline
  • Rent increase above the guideline
  • When the rent should be reduced

The different rules set out by the Residential Tenancies Actare there to protect the rights of both Landlords and Tenants.   Landlord and Tenant disputes can be a difficult field which may require a legal representative who has a thorough understanding of the law, and experience in handling landlord and tenant disputes before the Landlord and Tenant Board. If you currently have a hearing or application before the Landlord and Tenant Board in Ottawa and surrounding areas or would like to serve your landlord or tenant with a notice related to Residential Tenancy Act, and are looking for a representative, call us today to book your 30-minute consultation.   At Alzameli Legal Services we will attempt to resolve your landlord and tenant disputes through negotiation and alternative dispute resolution first. When an alternative dispute resolution fails, we are experienced and prepared to have your dispute resolved quickly and efficiently before the Landlord and Tenant Board or the courts.

Contact Alzameli Legal Services today to ensure you do things the correct and legal way.

Any information provided on this website is not considered legal advice and is being presented in order to address the services we provide to the public. If you require legal advice regarding the information provided on this website, please book an appointment through our contact form online or by calling us at 613-680-4656.